Please first read the Embassy´s page Visa - Important information for all applicants.
For visiting the so-called “Schengen States” for a period up to 90 days, Sri Lankan and Maldivian citizens and certain third country nationals residing in these countries have to obtain a visa category “Schengen”.
They have to lodge an application at the Embassy of the country which is their main destination (generally: the Schengen country with the longest stay during the trip). The country of entry and departure is not the determining factor! Holders of Schengen visas (text on the visa reads “valid for Schengen states” in the language of the issuing country) may spend up to 90 days in a given 180 days period in the Schengen area, provided their visa is valid at the time.
The German Embassy Colombo handles Schengen visa applications from
- Citizens of Sri Lanka residing in Sri Lanka and other third country nationals residing in Sri Lanka wishing to travel mainly to Germany, Estonia and Latvia. Applicants may apply in the VFS German Visa Application Centres in Colombo and Jaffna.
- Please note: Given the pandemic, the Schengen representation in Sri Lanka for travelers with main destination Austria, Hungary is currently suspended. Applicants have to apply with the respective Embassies in New Delhi.
- Citizens of the Maldives residing in the Maldives and other third country nationals residing in the Maldives wishing to travel to Germany for short stays. Applicants may apply at the VFS German Visa Application Centre in Malé.
- Please note: Germany is not representing any other Schengen country in the Maldives. Applicants wishing to travel mainly to another Schengen country have to apply with the respective Embassy in New Delhi.
Recommendations and tips
- It is recommended to apply as early as possible. The application can be lodged up to 6 months before the planned trip.
- The standard processing time for the decision on visa applications is 15 calendar days. The application should therefore be submitted at least 15 calendar days before the planned trip. Please refrain from enquiries on the status of your visa application during the processing time. If in individual cases an extended review is carried out, the processing time may be extended to 45 calendar days.
- Please note that visa applications can only be submitted through one of Germany’s VFS visa application centres in Colombo, Jaffna or Malé / Maldives. VFS acts as the official partner of the Embassy of Germany managing the administrative tasks related to visa. The decision making process about an application is solely handled by the Embassy!
- To lodge an application at the VFS visa application centre in Colombo, Jaffna and Malé you have to book an appointment online. Please consult the VFS website for further information.
- Applicants are obliged to provide all information necessary to proof their case and therefore are advised to submit only complete applications.
- Please note that all visa applicants need to appear in person for the collection of biometric data (photograph and ten fingerprints) when applying for a Schengen Visa. For more information, also regarding exceptions, click here Information regarding the Visa Information System (VIS)
So called “visa agents”
There is no need to use an “agent” to apply for a visa.
Please be informed that the German Embassy is not related to “visa agents” in any way. They neither work for nor work with the consent of the German Embassy. There is no such thing as “registered visa agent” for Germany. Their service may be expensive to you, but without any value to your case and certainly in no case will bind the German Embassy in their decision making process.
No “visa agent” can:
- influence the outcome
- fast-track the processing period
- guarantee you a visa
These checklists for Schengen visa applications will help you to make sure that your application is complete.
Complete your application online
Book your appointment
Online Appointments Schengen
Think about others: please cancel your appointment as soon as you know that you are not going to use it. You will enable other applicants to use that slot! “No-shows” (applicants who do not use booked appointments) will be monitored and if necessary registered. Late arrivals will be asked to reschedule.
All information is based on the knowledge and experience of the Embassy at the time of writing this text. No guarantee can be given for the completeness and correctness, especially due to changes that have occurred in the meantime.