If you are an EU citizen from Austria, Croatia, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia or Lithuania, lost your passport in Sri Lanka and your home country does not have a diplomatic mission in Sri Lanka, the German Embassy can issue an emergency travel document.
If you are an EU citizen from Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Luxembourg or Sweden: Please contact the Dutch Embassy.
If you are an EU citizen from Bulgaria, the Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Ireland, Poland or Spain: Please contact the French Embassy.
If you are an EU citizen from Greece, Malta, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia: Please contact the Italian Embassy.
If you would like the German Embassy to issue an emergency travel document, please adhere to the following procedure:
1) As soon as you become aware of the theft or loss of your passport report this to the local police station and obtain a police report. Do NOT wait until your departure day.
2) Reach out to the responsible embassy of your home country and request them to send their written consent for the issue of an emergency travel document as well as the confirmation of your identity and nationality to the German Embassy Colombo via E-Mail
Without this written consent the document cannot be issued.
3) Send an appointment request to the German Embassy in Colombo using the contact form (Contact form). Please note that emergency travel documents cannot be issued outside working hours.
4) Come to the Embassy on your appointment day with the following documents:
- 2 passport photos (3.5 x 4.5 cm)
- Police report
- Photo ID (e.g. driver's license, copy of stolen travel document or similar)
- Fee: 21 € (payable by credit card or cash only in Sri Lankan rupees)
Important information about travelling with the emergency travel document:
If you travel with the emergency travel document you do so at your own risk. Airlines and transit countries are not obliged to honour this document. It can therefore not be ruled out that other (transit) countries will not allow entry with these document or that check in/boarding by an airline can be refused. Please consult your airline before travelling.
Also note that this emergency travel document will only allow you to return to your home Country.