Emergency travel documents for EU citizens

23.10.2020 - Article

If you are an EU citizen and you've lost your passport in Sri Lanka the German Embassy might be able to issue an emergency travel document to you.

If you are an EU citizen, lost your passport in Sri Lanka and your home country is not having a diplomatic mission in Sri Lanka, the German Embassy can issue an emergency travel document.

As soon as you become aware of the theft or loss of your passport report this to the local police station and obtain a police report. Do NOT wait until your departure day.

If you would like the German Embassy to issue an emergency travel document, please adhere to the following procedure:

  1. Reach out to the relevant Embassy of your home country and request them to send their written consent to issuing the emergency travel document to the German Embassy Colombo (info@colo.diplo.de). Without the written consentfrom your Embassy adocument CANNOT be issued.
  2. Send an appointment request to the German Embassy Colombo using the contact form (Contact form). Please note that emergency travel documents CANNOT be issued on the weekends!
  3. Come to the Embassy on your appointment day with the following:
  • 2 passport photos (3.5 x 4.5 cm)
  • Police report of theft or loss
  • Photo ID (e.g. driver's license, copy of stolen travel document or similar; scanned copies or photographed documents on a cell phone are also accepted).

Fee: 21 € (payable by credit card or cash only in the current corresponding Sri Lankan rupee amount ) 

Important information about travelling with the emergency travel document

If you travel with the emergency travel document, you do so at your own risk. Airlines and other (transit) countries are not obliged to honour these documents. It can therefore not be ruled out that other (transit) countries will not allow entry with these documents, or that an airline will refuse check in/boarding due to them. Please consult your airline before travelling in thes respect!


Top of page