For many years, the International Academy for Coaches of the German Athletics Association (Deutscher Leichtathletik-Verband, DLV) in Mainz has offered a top level training and development program for coaches in track and field. The program is a cooperative effort of the DLV and the University of Mainz. The DLV International Academy for Coaches is also working closely with the German Olympic Sports Association (Deutscher Olympischer Sportbund, DOSB), creating an alumni network that will act on behalf of current and former students.
Eligible to apply are
- participants up to 40 years
- with own experience as active athletes or as physical education teachers/coaches and
- in good physical and psychological aptitudes.
- using the form provided below
- with a recommendation from your national athletic governing body,
- a medical certificate (the attached form must be enclosed in the sealed envelope marked “Confidential”, see form below ) and
- four biometric photos must be supplied with the application.
- Copy of your Passport / ID
Developing the ability to teach and coach in the field of athletics is a central objective of the course.
The training programme is divided into the following courses:
- German language course (intensive, 4 months)
- Theory and practice of athletics
- General human movement theory
- Sports medicine
- Sports physiology
Phyiotherapeutic measures, first aid course
Graduates who have passed the examination will receive an Athletics Coaching Diploma stating their grades for the individual subjects and their overall mark.
- The postgraduate study is financed by the Foreign Office of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Each participant receives a monthly grant
- Travel to and from Germany have to be borne by the applicant or a local sports institution.
1st September 2021 - 31st August 2022
All applications have to be submitted before 30th April 2021 to the German Embassy in Colombo.
Due to the still uncertain developments of the COVID-19 pandemic please always consult the webpage of the DLV Mainz if the course happen as planned: